Elsepack Clamshell Trays
- Low volumes for custom clamshell trays
- 100% recyclable material is available
- Expert development team on your trays order
- Over 10 year’s thermoformed trays manufacturing experience
- 24/7 online support for the quick reply on any of your problem
Although clamshell trays are not well known as well as plastic insert trays, Elsepack would like to apply the clamshell feature into the design of trays.
Clamshell trays are plastic containers with hinges, many people also called them clamshell containers.
Actually, clamshell trays are the economical replacement for expensive polypropylene cartons.
Clamshell trays are at the rapid growth in the global packaging market.
Elsepack would like to tell you why clamshell trays are the good ways to go. Clamshell trays have many major advantages to meet your various packaging needs.
- In a retail environment, clamshell trays help your product sell itself with high transparency. It’s easy for shoppers to view the inside products from many angles.
- Can be designed to hanging feature
- Combining 2 packaging parts into one minimizes cost
- Keeping products in place and more secure than Tri-Fold Packaging
Clamshell trays can be thermoformed in multiple colors or clear version.
In fruits and vegetable market, clamshell trays are commonly made of PET and PP.
100% RPET is assured to support your eco-friendly.
In this industry, clamshell trays can be treated as fruits punnets, strawberries clamshell boxes and they are cheap. We have various types in stock for your wholesale.
Moreover, Elsepack can customize an embossed logo freely to enhance your unique branding.
For the above reasons, clamshell trays are growing fast in food, plant, electric, and cosmetic industries, etc.
Although clamshell packaging is the main way to pack mail order plant, some of our customers want letter packaging.
Then, Elsepack engineer team creates innovative clamshell trays to be smaller and flatter.
If you are looking to package for easy and safe shipping, our clamshell trays are your best packaging solution.
For example, precision parts are designed to be snapped into place, so they are shipped without movement. This function of clamshell trays is irreplaceable.
Therefore, custom clamshell trays are more affordable than ever.
Partner with Elsepack, you do not need to worry about the volume of custom clamshell trays. Even, 10 to 500 piece are available for you.
We can offer custom design drawing freely within 24 hours, lower tooling cost and shorter lead time.
|Item Name||Clamshell Trays|
|Material||PP, PVC, RPET, PET, PS, etc.|
|Featured||Any in-house pattern and mould design|
|Production Time||7-15 days|
|Payment Term||T/T ,L/C, etc.|
Clamshell Trays: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
- What is a Clamshell Tray?
- What are the Key Benefits of Clamshell Trays?
- Are there any Downsides of Using Clamshell Trays?
- What Products do Clamshell Trays Pack?
- How are Clamshell Trays Made?
- Are there any Size Limitations to Clamshell Trays?
- What Kind of Plastic is Used in Clamshell Tray Manufacturing?
- Are the Plastics Used in Clamshell Tray Manufacturing Recycled/Recyclable?
- How Long Does it take to Make a Clamshell Tray?
- Is it Possible to Engrave on Clamshell Trays?
- How do I Choose the Best Clamshell Tray for my Product?
- How Much Does Clamshell Tray Packaging Cost?
- What is the Difference Between a Clamshell Tray and a Blister Tray?
- Does Elsepack Deliver Clamshell Trays Globally?
- Custom vs. Stock Clamshell Trays: Which is the Best?
- Can I get a Sample of Stock Clamshell Tray before Ordering from Elsepack?
- How Can I Ensure the Quality of My Clamshell Trays?
- What is the MOQ for Elsepack Clamshell Trays?
1) What is a Clamshell Tray?
A clamshell tray is a two-sided container with adjoining hinges that allow it to open and close like a clamshell.
Typically, this type of tray is made of thermoformed plastic, and the edges sealed in applications that require airtight protection.
The trays can be made transparent to allow customers to have a clear view of the products inside.
Note, clamshell trays are an extremely versatile type of packaging trays. These can be reused if unsealed, thereby helping to reduce the environmental footprint.
The trays can be customized to suit individual client needs and demands. You can request for features like self-locking mechanism, among other things that suit your specifications.
Given that this type of trays can be made to suit any product, clamshell trays have a wide range of use.
2) What are the Key Benefits of Clamshell Trays?
Clamshell trays can offer some unique benefits.
- Easy to open and close without removing the lid
- Available in many shapes, sizes and designs
- Producing clamshell trays if affordable
- Easy to custom make clamshell trays with unique logo and images
- Offer better product protection from dust, moisture, dents, etc.
3) Are there any Downsides of Using Clamshell Trays?
Yes, there are.
Clamshell trays can lead to brand clashing. Improper marketing and product description might lead to customers confusing one brand for another.
Also, they require more storage space.
Certain types of plastic used in clamshell manufacturing are considered to be harmful to the environment. Most of these take years to decompose.
And while some are recyclable, they tend to lose durability and become toxic waste after several cycles of recycling.
4) What Products do Clamshell Trays Pack?
- Foods especially fast foods, snacks, fruits, and some types of vegetables
- Bakery products like biscuits and cakes
- Electronic goods and accessories like USB drives and phones
- Stationeries such as pens, drawing pips
- Medical and dental instruments
- Capsules and tablets
- Mail order plants
Generally, clamshell trays are meant to protect the product and possibly provide clear visibility.
If shipping and storing the product can subject it to damages-like malfunctions due to dust accumulation.
Clamshell trays can protect it in a way that other types of packaging can’t.
In the case of foodstuffs, clamshell trays help to keep them clean and safe from contamination.
This is why you’ll always find them in your favorite fast-food restaurants and grocery stores.
5) How are Clamshell Trays Made?
The first step in making a clamshell trays is to create a design of how you want the tray to look like. For this, you need to create a drawing or sketch of the tray.
Of course, this will depend on the complexity of the product.
Secondly, you need to engineer the components that make up the tray. Here, you’ll need to factor in things like cost, quantity, printing, assembly, and packaging, among others.
Thirdly, a prototype will have to be created to see if you have the design right. The prototype must include all the components of the package and meet the given specifications.
Lastly, upon approval of the sample, you proceed to procure materials, tool, and fixtures for final production.
Note that in-between purchasing raw materials and manufacturing, there is the processing of materials, making of molds, thermoforming, drying, printing, and final packaging.
The lead times, in this case, will vary depending on what the production process involves.
You can watch the process below:
6) Are there any Size Limitations to Clamshell Trays?
Well, clamshell packaging trays tend to have subtle restrictions on size which are often determined by machinery and tooling used in production.
Nonetheless, most manufacturers can accommodate a lot of the consumer and industrial products on the market.
7) What Kind of Plastic is Used in Clamshell Tray Manufacturing?
Several types of plastics are used in clamshell tray manufacturing.
And while PVC and PETG are the widely used ones, there are so many other choices when comes to material selection.
- High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS); HIPs is highly versatile, durable, and an inexpensive plastic. It is easy to form and even print on, which is why manufacturers like it.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC); this is one of the most widely used types of plastic in clamshell manufacturing. The material is known for its diverse range of properties that include flexibility and cost-efficiency.
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET); this plastic is globally recognized as safe and recyclable. It is also often referred to as PETE.
- PETG; this is an improved version of PET that offers improved sealing properties with an enhanced durability.
- RPET; this is recycled PET plastic. It is also widely recognized as a safe thermoforming material.
- Polypropylene (PP); this one is quite versatile as it can be used in a range of packaging applications.
- Polyurethane; also a versatile plastic that is used in a range of thermoforming applications.
- High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE); another recyclable and also versatile material
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS); this is a durable plastic material that is loved for its heat resistant property.
- ESD; ESD plastic is a processed plastic that’s resistant to triboelectric charge. It is best suited for electronic products.
8) Are the Plastics Used in Clamshell Tray Manufacturing Recycled/Recyclable?
Most clamshell tray manufacturers incorporate both recycled and recyclable materials into clamshell manufacturing.
Elsepack, for instance, uses sustainable materials in manufacturing clamshell trays and all forms of packaging.
9) How Long Does it take to Make a Clamshell Tray?
As earlier mentioned, clamshell tray manufacturing times vary depending on many factors. Mostly, it depends on the machinery and tooling used.
The design, procurement processes, quality control, among other in-house production processes, may also affect the lead-times.
10) Is it Possible to Engrave on Clamshell Trays?
But for thin-walled and clear plastic clamshell trays, a different marketing approach is used.
You can always use inserts (an attractive piece of paper that contains your brand name and logo).
The engraving difficulty shouldn’t be a problem at all with clamshell packaging as the possibilities of graphic design are limitless.
11) How do I Choose the Best Clamshell Tray for my Product?
Paying close attention to detail is the trick to choosing the best clamshell tray for your product. After all, these trays may be what is remaining to make your product a success.
As such, you need to keep in mind that they will not only be a means to attract customers but also keep your product safe during shipping. It will also keep your product fresh and uncontaminated.
And when customers know that they can count on getting fresh products from you, then it improves the quality and image of your brand even further.
So when it comes to choosing the best tray, design and branding are key. Functionality is equally important.
Other things that you will also have to consider are;
- Target market
You need to carefully consider these key elements to be able to choose the right tray that will set your product apart on the shelves.
12) How Much Does Clamshell Tray Packaging Cost?
Honestly, there’s no standard price that can be put on clamshell trays.
This is because these trays vary significantly in design, size, material, and most importantly, its intended purpose. Thus, the range in cost will depend on these variances.
Nonetheless, five factors will influence the cost of clamshell tray packaging.
- The volume of packaging that you need/order quantity
- The size of the packaging
- Whether you need a custom or stock design
- The material of the tray
- Individual specifications/ complexity of the tray design
Generally, a clamshell tray packaging should cost anywhere between 2% to 10% of your products retail price.
13) What is the Difference Between a Clamshell Tray and a Blister Tray?
The main difference between a clamshell tray and blister tray is the design.
Clamshell trays are made with a hinge that allows for smooth opening and closing.
A blister is an open-single piece container that often attached to paperboard that holds the mold in place.
Both trays are however made from thermoformed plastics.
How do I Find the Best Clamshell Trays Supplier in China?
You should consider the following:
- Minimum order quantity – normally, most companies have an MOQ 500 pieces
- Production capacity of the clamshell tray manufacturer
- Experience and reputation of the clamshell tray manufacturer
- Quality regulation and compliance
- Whether the manufacturer offer clamshell shipping or not
14) Does Elsepack Deliver Clamshell Trays Globally?
Yes, we do.
Elsepack can deliver clamshell trays to any destination in the world.
Whether it’s America, Europe, Africa, or Australia. You give us your order and location; we will make sure you get your trays at the right time and in the best possible condition.
15) Custom vs. Stock Clamshell Trays: Which is the Best?
Well, for SMEs, stock clamshell trays give the best value. These come in a range of options that vary in size and shape.
However, they won’t be custom to your needs except for the inserts that you will add to the market and describe your product.
Custom options, on the other hand, tend to be costlier than stock options. This is because they require tooling that’s used to produce the tray to your specific design and requirements.
The tooling used to produce custom clamshell trays is unique to each client. Meaning, no one else can use your tooling to provide their trays.
So if you are a large business enterprise and need to set your products apart from the rest, custom trays are your best option, despite the higher cost.
Ultimately, it is your product, application and generally current need that will determine which of the two tray options is best for you.
16) Can I get a Sample of Stock Clamshell Tray before Ordering from Elsepack?
Yes, you can.
In fact, at Elsepack, we strongly encourage that customers request for a sample before making an actual order.
This way, you can check and verify if the product meets your requirements or not. And we can pick it up from there.
You can request for sample here: free sample and design
17) How Can I Ensure the Quality of My Clamshell Trays?
By first choosing a quality supplier. In this case, they should have a track record in producing quality clamshell trays. They should also have the necessary certifications.
Secondly, through quality control, you need to ensure proper quality control measures are followed. This should be done right from the raw materials ordering stage, to handling and final production.
And lastly but most importantly, ensure that the trays pass the requisite tests, i.e. clarity, hinge strength, and wall thickness.
18) What is the MOQ for Elsepack Clamshell Trays?
With Elsepack, you don’t have to worry about the MOQ. We can provide clamshell trays from 10 pieces to over 500 units.